About Simon Owens
Simon Owens is a longtime journalist, marketer, and PR professional. He began his career as a newspaper reporter covering local government in Virginia. In 2008, he moved to Washington, DC to work at a marketing agency while simultaneously serving as an associate editor at PBS’ MediaShift. He has conducted PR, content marketing, and social media strategy for dozens of companies, organizations, and individuals, including Google, Comcast, Forbes, ESPN, C-SPAN, and Nike. For two years he was an assistant managing editor at US News & World Report. While there, he built out the company’s then-nascent social media presence. His writing has appeared in The Atlantic, New York Magazine, Politico, Scientific American, Forbes, Harvard’s Nieman Lab, The Next Web, Daily Dot, PBS.org, and US News & World Report.
Simon is currently a content and social media marketing consultant. He works with brands and individuals to create engaging content for the web and helps them market that content to potential customers. He also hosts The Business of Content, a podcast about how publishers create, distribute, and monetize digital content.
You can reach him at email@example.com.
I’ve covered the digital content business for outlets that include US News & World Report, The Atlantic, Scientific American, New York Magazine, and Harvard’s Nieman Lab. Thousands of industry professionals read my newsletter and listen to my podcast. I’ve also spent over a decade consulting with Fortune 500 brands to develop their digital content and social media strategies, and I’ve conducted PR campaigns that resulted in client coverage at the world’s largest blogs and news outlets.
I can leverage this experience to develop a content strategy for your brand and ensure that this content reaches the influencers and target demographics within your industry. Please review my offered services below and don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Many of my clients come to me with the intent to invest in digital content but without knowing how they should allocate that investment. Should they create articles, white papers, video or podcasts? How can they differentiate their content offerings within their business niche? Who should they hire to create this content? How do they develop an audience across social media, newsletters, and search engines?
To answer these questions, I provide the following:
- Content strategy. I recommend how your organization should approach content creation for its website, newsletters, podcasts, and other mediums to maximize both audience growth and paid conversions.
- Audience development strategy. I recommend which social media platforms and other channels are worth investing in and provide examples of the type of content that should be published to each channel.
- Website-optimization strategy. I make recommendations for how to tweak your design and layout so it more clearly communicates your company’s value proposition to both potential readers and customers.
- Monetization strategy. I help your company design a unique value proposition around its paid offerings and market your services/products to your audience.
- Execution: I can help with getting the content operations off the ground, both by recruiting content creators and providing guidance to them as they execute on the strategy.
Public Speaking/In-Person Staff Training
Perhaps you want your entire staff trained on social media and content marketing best practices. Or you’re organizing an event where you need someone to speak on marketing, content, or digital media. I can prepare a presentation and talk that’s tailored to your needs.
As a journalist, I’ve written feature-length articles for The Atlantic, New York magazine, Politico, Scientific American, Forbes, PBS.org, and US News & World Report. I can file articles on a freelance basis for your news organization. I can write analysis pieces (check out this article for New York magazine) or feature-length articles (check out this article for Scientific American). I specialize in writing about technology and media, but I can cover a variety of subjects.